YOUTH IN NORTHEAST TENNESSEE AND SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA: SCHOLARSHIPS FOR ORGAN LESSONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE.
The American Guild of Organists (AGO) serving NE Tennessee and SW Virginia and its Young Organist Collaborative (YOC) encourages and supports young people in learning to play the pipe organ. We are seeking music students 10 - 16, who are interested in studying with a qualified local organist. These lessons will be provided at no cost to first year students.
- Applicants should be between the ages of 10 and 16 as of 9/1/2018, and have had at least 2 years of piano keyboard study, in addition to any other instrument played. Applicants will be expected to read music and play piano equally in both hands.
- Applicants need to be able to study with organists in or near the area served by the AGO of NE Tennessee and SW Virginia.
- Completed applications are due by August 4, 2018. Paper applications (forms available on this site) may be sent to the address below. The application form may also be downloaded by following the links on this page and submitted by uploading via email or by submitting the online form.
- Each student's application must be accompanied by a written recommendation from a music teacher. Recommendations may be sent to the address below or submitted electronically as noted just above. Recommendations are also due by August 4, 2018.
- Applicants will be expected to participate in a kick-off event on Saturday, August 18, 2018, at 10 A.M. at Seeger Chapel on the Milligan College Campus in Elizabethton, Tennessee, which will include a student audition to sight read and play a short piece on the piano, a demonstration / explanation of pipe organ mechanics, and a question and answer period.
- Scholarship recipients will be expected to attend 16 lessons (1 every other week from September 2018 - May 2019) with a qualified organist at the organist's studio / church.
- Students will be expected to practice at least two or three days a week on an organ.
- Students will be expected to participate in an organ recital on Tuesday evening, May 21, 2019, at Milligan College.
The YOC will provide stipends to organ to instructors for 16 lessons. Each student will be assigned an adult mentor to assist in the YOC experience.
Northeast Tennessee / Southwest Virginia AGO
Young Organist Collaborative
P.O. Box 1235
Milligan College, Tennessee 37682
Questions? Call Robert Greene, YOC Chair, at 423-341-0378, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org